Monday, July 26, 2010

Whole Foods Hummus....Sexy, Single & FREE!

Ehhh... I don't know if this qualifies as a post. Perhaps this is more of a "Hey-guess-what-I-did-today" ramble that I really want to share, but no one cares. So you'll be the ones to suffer.

Due to the gap in my regular blogging, I can't quite remember if I've divulged my love/hate relationship with Whole Foods to my loyal readers. If I have, here is some repetition.

OK, Whole Foods: For the most part, it's incredibly overpriced, and I could give a shit if my food is organic. However, everything in Manhattan is overpriced...and the food in Whole Foods is usually pretty good ("Usually"="except for that time I ate almost an entire case of arugula before I noticed 3 dead ladybugs at the bottom." Yeah, I guess it's better than roaches--the usual NYC fare. But I would prefer the pesticides to the bugs.)

That being said, certain things actually are cheaper at Whole Foods than in the typical Manhattan chains. For instance, take Gristedes. You know what, Gristedes just overall sucks and the food is usually expired. Don't give them your business. Ken (the BF) shops here because he's lazy, and it's right downstairs, which pisses me off. Giving in to the MAN! Exactly what "he" wants. Ken also shops here because the evening-shift checkout lady calls him "baby" and says he looks like a red-headed "Dexter." (He doesn't.)

Earlier today, I found a Whole Foods coupon for a free container of hummus with any $25.00 purchase (and let's be real, with NYC prices, that's a box of cereal). So you know my cheap ass strutted on over simply because, well...it's FREE.


I bet it tastes delicious. Everything free does. Maybe that's why hookers are never as enjoyable (or so I hear).

Anyway, I found these OLD photos of some hummus I made awhile back, and figured today's episode would be a good reason to give them some face time. It's actually "bootleg" hummus, since I had no tahini paste (nor any desire to buy some), and I used peanut butter instead. STFU. No one could tell the difference.





The Unemployed Chef's Bootleg Hummus (that tastes like non-bootleg hummus, IMO)

Makes 1 small bowl of hummus. I mean, how much can you eat at once? It's beans. You'll poop your pants.

Ingredients
-1 12-oz can chick peas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (reserving liquid)
-1-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
-1 tbsp peanut butter
-1 tbsp olive oil
-Dash of cumin
-Salt & pepper, to taste
-Paprika (optional)

Steps
-Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor (reserve a few chickpeas if you want to be "fancy," as in my exquisite photo below).
-Puree until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add reserved chickpea liquid as needed.
-"Garnish" (fancy-pants) with paprika and reserved chickpeas, if ya want.





Here's a little extra You Don't Miss With The Zohan/Hummus goodness. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment