Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pork + Cherries = Too many obvious jokes.

I still remember my very first post. I created this blog solely because my new camera had a "Gourmet Food" setting. (Side note: The only reason I received a new camera was because Ken--the BF--dropped my old one in Norway during a parade, where it not only smashed screen-first onto the concrete sidewalk, but additionally got trampled by a stampede of giant Vikings. This = you buy me a new camera, bitch.)

Little did I know that any of you losers (love you guys!) would actually be interested in this cesspool of crap. And that I would still be entertaining you losers (again, I say this out of love) today.

Sometimes I don't blog for a week or so, and then conjure up some random greatness out of nowhere ("out of nowhere" = "I'm probably drinking"). And I get that rush like I'm starting a whole new blog.

I feel like I'm popping my (blog's) cherry all over again.

I really want this metaphor to work, because I have no idea how else to introduce a recipe like Roasted Pork Chops with Black Cherry Reduction. Sex and fart jokes are all I've got.





Roasted Pork Chops with Black Cherry Reduction

PS: Totally stole this shizz from here.

Makes 2 pork chops

Ingredients
-2 Bone-in center cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick
-2 tbsp red wine/red wine vinegar (which is what I used, because I didn't have any red wine on hand. Alcohol doesn't last long in my house.)
-Butter (about 3 tbsp)
-2 shallots, chopped
-1/4 c beef broth
-1 1/2 - 2 c frozen pitted black cherries, defrosted (reserve juice)
-A *sprinkle* of dried rosemary leaves (I'm sure fresh would be even better)
-Olive oil (or whatever you have an hand)
-Salt & pepper, to taste


Steps
-In a frying pan or skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Season your pork chops with salt, pepper, and whatever other goodies you like (I tend to use a little garlic powder or paprika).


-Add pork chops to the hot oil (1 at a time, if you have a mini-skillet like me--frying evenly is more important than efficiency), cooking for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place in a glass baking dish.


-Bake pork chops at 350° for about 20 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
-Meanwhile, reserving the luscious pork chop grease, reheat pan over medium heat, adding butter. Twirl pan until butter is melted and covers entire surface.
-Add chopped shallots and defrosted cherries + juice to the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, until shallots are tender but not brown.


-Add red wine/red wine vinegar and beef broth to pan, and cook (stirring occasionally) until mixture simmers.
-Add rosemary, and continue to simmer until sauce reduces. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and pour over baked pork chops.


No comments:

Post a Comment