Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Would you like some dinner to go with that fat?

After several days of (healthy) fish and chicken, I was craving something fatty and fried. There's just nothing more pleasurable than eating a greasy, heavy meal, and passing out shortly after. Or sweating profusely as your body tries to burn off all the fat (I believe these are called "Meat Sweats"). I mean, really, being a size 5 is overrated. The way the weather has been going, it's not like I'll be in a bikini anytime soon. Or at least that's my justification.

So I went for the classic "meat 'n' potatoes" meal. OK, so I still had my jumbo bag of Costco red potatoes from this recipe, and I didn't want them to go bad. That would be a waste of food, and my food motto is the same as my alcohol motto--YOU DON'T WASTE! There are starving children in the world that would kill for that last bite of mac'n'cheese...and that shot of Patron. (By the way, have you ever realized how little sense that makes? If I finish my meal, is that going to satiate a starving child's hunger? 'Look at me, I'm eating and I'm not even hungry! The world's starvation problem is SOLVED!') Yeah, I go off on tangents. Gotta problem?

Anyway, back to using my jumbo bag of Costco red potatoes. In essense, it means one less thing to buy (and you know I'm one cheap bitch). This ultimately backfired when I realized I didn't have a potato masher (worst chef EVER!) and had to spring $6.99 for a plastic piece of crap. OUTRAGE.

In all good conscience, I can't take full credit for this one. Because the BF actually made (and suggested) the porkchops (Kitchen Bitch). I guess he'll do anything to avoid another squash night.




Breaded Porkchops & Red Potato Mash

Ingredients
Red Potato Mash:
-Red potatoes (about 24...this will make a LOT of leftovers...seriously. We had 3 nights dinner, and then brought the rest over to a BBQ. And they had leftovers.)
-Butter, about half a stick
-Chives (Fresh is always better, but I used dried because I had them on hand)
-Heavy cream (approx. 1 cup)
-Sour cream (approx. 1 cup)
-Garlic powder
-Salt & Pepper

Breaded Porkchops:
-2 large porkchops (I used center-cut chops)
-Flour
-Paprika
-1 egg
-Worcestershire sauce
-Italian-style breadcrumbs (4C Seasoned Breadcrumbs are my standby fave)
-Grated cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino Romano, and Asiago all work well here)
-Olive oil
-Salt & Pepper

Steps
-The potatoes will take longer than the porkchops, so I always start with them first. Wash and half (or quarter, depending on size) your potatoes. You can peel them if you want, but it's extra work and I actually prefer skins in my mash.
-Place potatoes in a large pot or dutch oven (ha), and cover with water.


-Bring to a boil. These are small potatoes, so they should be ready to mash after about 10 minutes of boiling. If your fork can easily pierce through the potato, they're done.
-While your potatoes are boiling, you can start preparing your porkchops to save time (get yo' multitaskin' on). In a frying pan or skillet, begin heating olive oil over high heat.
-Set up your dipping stations (see previous post) by setting up 3 bowls, as follows:


  1. Flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika.

  2. 1 egg, beaten, with a few drops of worcestershire sauce (sounds random, I know).

  3. Breadcrumbs, seasoned with grated or shredded cheese.

-Dip the chops into the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, in that order. Place into the heated oil, frying each chop for about a minute per side. Turn the heat down to medium high, and continue cooking the chops about 5-7 minutes per side, or until they are no longer pink in the center.
-Back to the potatoes. They should be done boiling, so drain them and place them back in the pot.
-While your chops fry, begin to mash the potatoes inside the pot. Gradually start adding your butter (1 tbsp at a time), heavy cream (1 splash at a time), and sour cream (1, um, dollup at a time). I cannot stress the word "gradually" enough. Too much too soon = gross mushy crap.
-Season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle in chives.
-Mash and mix the potatoes until they are the way you like them. For instance, I like lumps, some people hate them. To each his own (except my way is better).

The chops should be done right around the time you finish mashing your potatoes to death. As a result, they're both hot and ready to serve at the same time (sounds dirty).


Damn son.

No comments:

Post a Comment