Thursday, July 9, 2009

DEEEEZ NUTS.

If this title doesn't draw you in, I don't know what will.

But seriously, I like using nuts in my dinners. (Ha.) Almonds and walnuts are my favorites, because they seem to last forever. I love pine nuts, but they are expensive and get rancid after a week. I even substitute almonds for pine nuts in my pesto, but that's a whole other story and blog post.

I had some leftover almonds, and some leftover tilapia (see previous post), and a bunch of other random crap. Somehow, I got this recipe below, and it received such high praise (from the BF and...uh...me) that I'd make out with myself if I could. I'm that good.




Almond-Crusted Tilapia

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
-2 tilapia filets
-1 cup almonds
-Asiago cheese
-Flour
-1 egg
-Lemon pepper
-Garlic powder
-3 tbsp butter
-Olive oil
-Lemon wedges

Steps
-Place almonds into a blender. (No need to toast them first, since you'll be frying them up later.)
-"Purée" or "chop" (or whatever your blender says) the almonds until you're left with a fine, grainy powder.
-Transfer almond powder to a bowl, and mix with a handful or so of Asiago cheese.
-In other bowl, beat egg with a dash of lemon pepper and a dash of garlic powder.
-Fill yet another bowl with flour.

All behold my dipping stations. It makes the most of my (lack of) counter space.

-Over medium high heat, begin melting your butter in a skillet or frying pan. Once the butter starts bubbling, add a splash of olive oil, and allow that to heat, as well. (The olive oil prevents the butter from burning over high heat, in case you give a crap.)
-Meanwhile, step back over to your dipping stations. Dip your tilapia filets into the flour, the egg mixture, and the almond-and-cheese mixture, in that order.
-Place the coated filets in your skillet, and fry over medium high heat for about 2 minutes per side. Slightly lower your heat, cover your pan, and continue cooking for about 5-7 minutes (depending on the thickness of your filets).
-Serve with lemon wedges...if you want.


Seriously...I'm awesome. This was unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment